Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cheap, Healthy, Filling Soup








Carrot Ginger Habanero Soup

I was fortunate enough to spend the holidays with my wonderful sister and equally fabulous brother in law ( who is an amazing cook).

Before we had fondue for our Christmas Eve dinner, Luke prepared Carrot Ginger Habanero soup.

I loved it and have been thinking about for months. The other day, I finally got inspired to give it a try.

I made it super healthy. I used no oil, butter, or fat of any kind. It is amazing because it still comes out rich, creamy, and delicious.

This is a great soup for anyone on a diet but is also a good way to impress your guests.

Luke and Stephanie eat this warm in the winter but also serve it cold in the summer. I had a bowl of it cold for a snack today and it refreshing and so filling.

Not only is it filling, easy to make, but it is also cheap!

Here is what my receipt from City Market reads for some of my ingredients:

Pound of carrots was $.39
The ginger root was $. 20
The habanero was $.08

I already had an onion, few cloves of garlic, and some chicken stock at home so this soup is easily less than $ 5.00 for a big patch.

Ingredients:

1 medium onion ( diced)
Few cloves of garlic ( diced)
3 TBS of fresh grated ginger
1 habernero pepper ( de-seeded and diced)

Saute these veggies together in a large pot ( this will be the same pot you cook the soup in)

If you want you can add oil but I did not.

Then, add :

1 lb of carrots ( peeled and chopped)
4 cups of chicken broth

Let this simmer for about 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Let it cool and puree it in the blender a few cups at a time.

You are ready to serve it. I served mine with some fresh ground pepper and a dab of plain yogurt ( or sour cream).


Here is my final product!


No comments: