Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Homemade Bread warms the heart and fills the belly!




From Mar 24, 2009


One of the things I love is homemade bread especially when it's hot right out of the oven.

It takes me back to when I was a little girl and my mom would bake her own bread. Now that I am a woman, I find many similarities between my mother and I ( some that I love, others that I wish I didn't posses) .

Growing up in Switzerland, one of my favorite breads was Tresse. The Swiss bread is braided and eaten with some butter and a cinnamon and sugar mixture doused on top. It is simply divine!

I wanted a salty bread to go with my Italian soup so I instead of sugar, I put rosemary and garlic.

Here is the recipe... bon appetit !

Tresse

In a large bowl, dissolve 1 package yeast ( which is 1 TB) with 1 TB sugar in a cup of HOT water.
* water needs to be hot from the tab, do not microwave to heat the water*

Let the yeast dissolve until bubbly.

Add a few TB of olive oil, 1 tsp of salt, an egg yolk ( save the white!) and stir. Slowly add flour until you cannot stir the mixture easily. Take dough out and begin to kneed. Kneed dough with more flour until it is no longer sticky. Dough should be soft and smooth. Put the dough back in the bowl and let it rise ( for about 1 hr) once it has risen, punch it down, and let it rise again.

Pull dough into 3 sections and roll out into long ropes. Begin braiding. Once the bread has been braided put on a greased baking sheet and cover with an egg white ( this gives it the golden look) sprinkle with whatever type of seasoning you like. I used fresh garlic and rosemary. If you want to eat it as the original Tresse, do not garnish with seasoning. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30-45 minutes. You can tell when the bread is cooked by tapping the bottom of the bread. It should sound hollow.


From Mar 24, 2009



No comments: